WiFi Terms & Conditions
This document sets out the terms and conditions for the provision of an on -train Wi-Fi service and associated support services ("the service") by ScotRail ("ScotRail", "we" or "us") to the general public.
- The agreement between you and us.
- ScotRail offers to provide you with access to the internet via our Wi-Fi network, subject to you accepting these terms and conditions in full. The service includes the provision of support services by a third party.
- By using the service you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions in full.
- From time to time we may modify the terms and conditions for using the service. By using the service you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as they stand at any particular point in time while you are using the service.
- The service
- To use the service you must have suitable Wi-Fi enabled equipment with appropriate software ("equipment" or "device"). You are responsible for providing this equipment if you wish to use the service. You are responsible for ensuring the compatibility of your equipment with the service. The specification and condition of your equipment may affect your experience of the service. You accept the risk of any failures to your equipment as a result of using the service.
- The service is available to you when your device is within range of our Wi-Fi system. The Wi-Fi system is installed onboard certain ScotRail trains and consequently you may be within range when you're nearby a train with our Wi-Fi system, such as when you're onboard another train or when you're in a station.
- Support services are available to you by speaking with a member of our staff, if you are having difficulties using the service.
- The service is provided over a public Wi-Fi network and this has inherent security risks, as described further below at 2.6. We cannot guarantee the service is secure, but we have taken steps to make the security risk as low as reasonably practicable. By using the service you assume all responsibility and risk for use of the service.
- Our public wifi network offers open network access for all. This creates the inherent risk that a third party could intercept data you are sending, if the device or application you are using does not encrypt that data. For additional security we recommend that you use a VPN client or other software that ensures that your web traffic is encrypted. However we cannot guarantee that any particular virtual private network will be compatible with the service.
- We will endeavour to maximise availability of the service, but we may need to withdraw or reduce the availability of the service from time to time. The service is dependent on the train having a good signal from the local mobile telephone network transmitters and receivers therefore we cannot guarantee full service all the time. There will be interruptions to the service when the train passes through tunnels and cuttings and other features that block the signals to and from the local transmitters and receivers. We cannot guarantee that data such as emails and web pages will be sent and received satisfactorily.
- If we suspect you are not complying with these terms and conditions or are attempting to transmit a virus or similar program or file, we reserve the right to immediately, and without notice, suspend your access to the service.
- The speed of data transmission to and from your device is dependent on numerous factors and the accuracy and timeliness of data sent or received cannot be guaranteed. By using the service you accept that delays or omissions may occur when sending and receiving data.
To ensure connectivity can be shared fairly among all users, ScotRail's free on-train wifi system may
reduce download speeds for users who continually access large data websites/apps.
In addition, ScotRail may block access to websites or apps which use excessive volumes of data
- The Wi-Fi service is provided to you free-of-charge to you, however any telephone calls you may make to the telephone support line may be chargeable. We reserve the right to change our pricing structure from time to time.
- Your conduct
- The service is provided on the basis that you use it responsibly. You accept that there may be children or vulnerable people nearby who can see or hear how you are using the service.
- You must not use the service for anything unlawful, immoral or improper.
- You agree that you will stop using, or modify your use of the service if requested to do so by any employee of ScotRail.
- You agree that while using the service you will not disturb other people nearby with excessive noise, alarming imagery, or other inappropriate content or behaviour.
- You agree not to send or receive data, files or programs that may be harmful in any way to the service or to the equipment other people are using to access the service.
- You agree not to attempt to modify the service in any way.
- You agree not to infringe upon the privacy of others while using the service. This includes the transmission of still or moving imagery of other people nearby.
- You accept that we may restrict access to specific websites or content genres at our discretion. You accept that we may modify these restrictions from time to time.
- Content disclaimer
- ScotRail does not control, nor is it in any way liable for, data or content that you access or receive via the service. You accept that we are not responsible for restricting access to data or content that may offend or upset you.
- ScotRail is not responsible for managing or screening any data or content sent or received while using the service.
- We are only liable to you as set out in this agreement. We have no other duty or liability to you.
- We are not liable to you in any way for any loss of income, loss of business or profits, consequential losses, or for any loss that was not reasonably foreseeable at the time you entered this agreement. Specifically, we shall not be liable for any deficiency in performance caused in whole or in part by any act or omission of an underlying carrier or service provider, dealer, equipment or facility failure, network problems, lack of coverage or network capacity, acts of God, strikes, fire, war, terrorism, riot, emergency, government actions or any other cause beyond the control of ScotRail.
- How we use your information
- a) This train is equipped with trial equipment and new customer-experience services. We are collecting WiFi data and providing data-driven services on this train that is linked to the onboard WiFi network to test how it can be used to improve our operations, provide better travel information, onboard digital services and prioritisation of investments. Information about how this trial uses your data by ScotRail’s data processing partners: Wittos - 1to1.link